Sunday, April 6, 2008

How Scary is the Shariah?

In keeping with the good writing spirit, I’d like to state that this post was inspired by an excellent article written on the topic by Noah Feldman – a law professor at Harvard University.
It is extremely well written and I strongly recommend you read the full article.

He writes, and I quote;
“To many, the word “Shariah” conjures horrors of hands cut off, adulterers stoned and women oppressed....

In fact, for most of its history, Islamic law offered the most liberal and humane legal principles available anywhere in the world."


Although I would like to disagree on his opinion that the Shariah was alright only “for most of history”, seeking to imply that it probably isn’t anymore, I would like to take this opportunity to thank him if I could for setting things right in his own way so far as the image of Shariah goes.

In his article Professor Feldman writes, when Rowan Williams – the archbishop of Canterbury – suggested in his lecture that it might be a good idea to allow Islamic and Orthodox Jewish courts to implement their religious law, it was “the word “Shariah” that was radioactive”

Now, thinking back on how this whole image thing got where it is now, I think we form part of the problem because we don’t tell people what our religion and our principles are all about.

This reminds me of an incident when I was still in India last year when a friend of mine and I had the opportunity to discuss Islam with a student of architecture on a train with us.
To our surprise, she hardly knew anything about Islam - in spite of her claiming to have ‘several Islam friends’.

While we explained to her on some of the aspects of Islam – this also included the usual questions on polygamy, hijab and the implications of the Shariah – it occurred to me that this was probably all the information what most people who don’t have much contact with muslims had.

And if this is the case in a country where Muslims form a sizeable part of the population, I’d hate to think on how much people know about Islam in places where you don’t have that many Muslims.

And like I always say, it’s up to us – every single one of us – to set things straight.

3 comments:

Rayees Ahamed said...

Assalamu alaikum

that was nice brother ,

really every single one of us have our own environment , and it is our duty to put Islam in front of them... if we can increase the pace of this communication much faster than the west influenced media , the image of Islam projected as such among the nonmuslims will change Inshallah , JazakAllahu khairun :) well i read your blog mashllah its cool ... supera irukku

Hari Vishnu said...

I lived 16 years in UAE (Sharjah).. So i got to know more about Islam during my time there..in my 16 years of life i never saw one incident that made me think the Islamic law or Muslims in general was in any way excessively violent in nature..Ofcourse, UAE is one really liberal state i say.. Even here most of my friends are peaceful..

Then why is it that I still hear news of the so-called horror-law being implemented in other places?.. there was this incident involving a Malayali guy in Saudi, who supposedly got into an argument with an Arab over money when he was working at a petrol pump.. The Arab lost an eye in the fight.. And the law suggested an eye for an eye, meaning that if the Arab willed the man would have his eye plucked out too (gross)

Eventually the Arab guy pardoned him, and the man escaped unhurt back to India after some time in punishment and some amount in fine..

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@rayees

Thx bro.
Actually I guess it is time we all quit complaining abt the media being so bad and did something abt it...blogs are a small way of doing that I guess. :)
Rock on, Jazakallah!

@hari
Actually I guess the problem lies in the fear of unknown cultures.
Here in Germany, I have repeated been asked if India is safe to visit or whether you might catch brain fever or some other incurable disease if you go there....and trust me, a lot of Germans don't.
Information is the only weapon against ignorance.